Our TOP TEN Tips for a Stunning Christmas Garden
Christmas is fast approaching, and with many of you hosting family and friends for festive drinks and dinners over coming weeks, here are our TOP TEN tips for a fabulous garden which will look every bit as fun and festive as your home.
1. Pot up empty pots with advanced seedlings – clean the pots and refresh the soil first. Place the pots near to where your guests will be sitting, for the most impact. Consider vinca’s, petunias, bacopa for a hot sunny spot, and for something a little shadier consider impatiens, lobelia, hydrangea and even poinsettia.
2. For a splash of colour plant advanced seedlings to fill in empty spots in garden beds.
3. Dead-head roses and other flowers as they finish blooming; trim topiary and tidy up straggly growth on shrubs and bushes.
4. Mow and fertilise your lawn, and fertilise garden beds
5. Dispose of cracked and unsightly pots, broken pool toys and wrap garden hoses up neatly and set them away.
6. Empty water bowls every 5-7 days in the lead up to Christmas to reduce mosquito numbers in your garden (dog bowls, birth baths and so on), and have plenty of citronella or sandlewood on hand for evening functions.
7. Sweep pathways, and cut back overhanging plants so that guests can navigate their way safely and easily around your garden, especially important for evening functions
8. Check your outdoor lighting, and consider installing solar lights and budlights for evening functions.
9. Sweep cobwebs from the pergola and verandah areas, BBQs and check under your outdoor seating too.
10. Check your irrigation system is and working, and begin watering regularly
We hope you enjoy your garden, and entertaining in it this festive season. If you need any advice or assistance with your garden, or would like to order plants for Christmas Day please speak with our qualified garden staff.